My best friend owns a charter bus company, Holiday Tours, that covers central North Carolina.
I am always amazed when he tells me about the number of “price-only” shopper queries they receive.
Anyone chartering a bus for a school group, church group, business outing or a group of friends, ought to be a little more concerned about safety.
I would provide a list of questions to ask when chartering a tour bus, but I know EDLP (every day low price) providers will not give you an honest answer to your questions.
They are typically in the business on a whim and running their business on a shoestring cutting corners everywhere they can to stave off inevitable bankruptcy that’s the result of pricing that fails to cover their cost, let alone provide a reasonable profit.
Nonetheless the following are several items you need to consider:
- Will the driver hold a current Commercial Driver’s License with a “passenger” endorsement ?
- Will the driver hold a valid medical certificate ?
- Does the company have a driver drug/alcohol testing program that complies with DOT regulations ?
- What is the maintenance schedule for the buses?
- What is the company’s safety record?
- How does the company ensure the safety and security of passengers?
Charter buses are a great, and environmentally friendly, way to travel with a group for business or pleasure; however, safety should come before price more so than in any other purchase you make.
What are your experiences with motor coach travel?