HR Solutions has just published a study on employee engagement and found it has increased to 29% in 2011 versus 27% in 2010.
Kevin Sheridan, senior vice president of human-resource optimization for HR Solutions, and author of the book Building a Magnetic Culture, indicates that recognition is still the most important driver of employee engagement; however, managers and companies are very poor at providing recognition or thanking their employees.
Here are the top five drivers based on the research:
- Career development
- Relationship with supervisor
- Involvement in company strategy and mission
- Content of the job
Employees will care about their job and the company the more they know you care about them.
You can show them you care by:
- Getting to know them as individuals
- Getting to know their needs, wants and aspirations
- Finding out what you can do to help them do a better job
- Getting their thoughts on how you can improve your products and services for your customers
How are you improving employee engagement in your company?