John Tschohl is the president of Service Quality Institute which works with companies to create a service culture by providing ongoing service training every four to six months to keep employees engaged, learning and informed.
He has five critical elements necessary for providing outstanding service:
- Speed — allows you to differentiate yourself in the marketplace and in consumers’ eyes. Zappos accomplishes this with next day delivery.
- Employee empowerment — your employees have to do whatever they have to do, on the spot, to provide an outstanding customer experience. The most important person in every single company is the front line employee.
- Quality — in whatever service or product you are selling is essential, it’s “table stakes.”
- Service — its meaning will differ with every customer, as such front line employees need to sense and ask what’s important to the customer.
- Use the customer’s name and make them feel special.
Apple stores do a great job combining technology, speed, quality and service. They dominate the competition because they understand how the combination works.
Which of these five elements can you improve in your business?