8 Key Findings from Annual Survey of Marketers

Consumer insights on the state of marketing in 2011

Unica just published “The State of Marketing 2011.”  These are the result of surveys of 279 direct and online marketers from more than 12 industries.

All of the respondents were from large companies:

  • More than half, 54%, of respondents were from companies with revenues of $1 billion or more,
  • 7% $750 million to $1 billion,
  • 7% $500 million to $750 million,
  • 16% $250 million to $500 million
  • 35% $100 million to $250 million

Three of five (60%) were from North American while the remaining 40% were from Europe.

There was a fairly even split between B2B (31%), B2C (34%) and B2B and B2C (35%).

Here are the eight key findings:

  1. Marketers Seem Ready to Bridge the Gap Between Analysis and Action – This year, “measurement, analysis and learning” overtook “IT support of marketing needs” as the #1 marketing bottleneck. And after years of analysis paralysis, respondents identified “turning data-into-action” as their #1 organizational issue.
  2. Marketers Believe Technology Can Ease Their Pain – Over half also cited technology as the key to productivity. Without question, marketers see technology as vital to resolving the challenges of meaningful measurement and analysis and choosing the next best course of action – more so than additional staff or agency support.
  3. Demand for an Integrated Marketing Suite Continues to Grow – As marketing’s need for technology grows and technology adoption matures, there is a corresponding concern with integration – 87% of marketers express interest in a marketing suite that is better integrated.
  4. Marketers Believe in Interactive Marketing, but Have More Progress to Make Toward this Vision – While responses suggest that interest in achieving truly integrated cross-channel dialogs with customers is high, nearly half of survey participants report that they are only partially achieving that goal. The key barrier? Organizational structure and internal processes. Regardless, 57% report the adoption of inbound marketing methods (personalized targeting/messaging) in their web channels.
  5. Web Data Is Highly Prized, but Putting It to Work in Campaign Decisioning Still Lags– Here’s a paradox: 92% of marketers appreciate the value and importance of web data, yet half or less apply that data to customer analyses and campaigns. And of those that do, less than a third believe their efforts are very effective.
  6. Online Marketing Is Pervasive but Fragmented – Email is pervasive, but nearly three-quarters of respondents complain that their email data is either not integrated with other customer data, or that the integration is mostly a manual effort. Paid search remains immature, with only a little more than a quarter adopting any software to manage keyword bids. Nearly a quarter of those who have adopted a solution simply rely on free tools. Indeed, respondents indicated that search isn’t very well-integrated with overall marketing efforts.
  7. Social Media Marketing Experiences Growing Pains – Once again, social media remains the reigning champion among emerging marketing channels, leading the way with 53% current usage. But marketers’ enthusiasm is burning less brightly than last year, suggesting that we have passed the peak of inflated expectations and are focused on finding the value that social channels can yield.
  8. Mobile Marketing Continues to Rise – Consumers are rapidly adopting connected mobile devices and smart marketers are aggressively following their audience. 43% of respondents say they currently use the tactic, with another 23% planning to do so within a year. Yet, as with other tactics, today’s efforts are largely not well-integrated with other marketing efforts.

As the director of marketing of a small business, I agree with all of these findings though I have not found IT to be a bottleneck.  Perhaps this is a function of the size of our organization.  This has also allowed me to move quickly between analysis and action.

I’m glad to see an emphasis on integrated marketing which is in danger of not occurring with the proliferation of different media channel.

How do these findings relate to you and your business?

Advertisements

About Insights From Analytics

Integrated marketing professional who generates insights from analytics to increase revenue. Daily blog now resides at www.insightsfromanalytics.com/blog.
This entry was posted in Consumer Insights and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s