In order to be a successful brand you need to uniquely position yourself versus the competition. This can be achieved by defining or redefining the category in which you compete.
Here are five guidelines for creating a new category:
- The new category needs to be defined with a value proposition that will differentiate the category from alternatives and appeal to a known need or want of customers. Apple did this by making the iPhone more than a cellular telephone.
- Make the brand the “star” of the category. Zappos did this by delivering outstanding customer service while expanding beyond an online shoe store to an online clothing retailer as a result of the outstanding service and customer experience they provide.
- Focus on promoting the category and not the brand. Chipotle has done this by promoting fast food that tastes good and is good for you.
- Stimulate buzz. Apple does a great job of this with every new product it introduces – even the latest version of an iPhone.
- Don’t stand still, continually innovate based on consumers’ needs and wants. In order to do this you must maintain a dialogue with your customers. Honda has done this with its own cars as well as Acura.
What can you do to create a new category in which your brand can be the leader?