I just finished reading Tony Hsieh’s new book, “Delivering Happiness.” There are so many great stories and suggestions in this book, I want to share them with you over my next few blog posts. By all means, buy the book. It’s a great read for anyone who owns, or wants to impact, a business.
One of Zappos’ core values is to “be adventurous, creative and open-minded.”
Zappos believe it is important for employees and the company as a whole to be bold and daring but not reckless. They want everyone to not be afraid to take risks and to not be afraid to make mistakes because if people aren’t making mistakes it means they’re not taking enough risks. Over time, Zappos wants their employees to develop and improve their decision-making skills. They encourage employees to make mistakes and to learn from them.
Zappos never wants to become complacent and accept the status quo just because that’s the way things have always been done. They want employees to always be seeking adventure and having fun exploring new possibilities. By having the freedom to be creative it their solutions, Zappos believe they end up making their own luck.
– Are you taking enough risks?
– Are you afraid of making mistakes?
– Do you push yourself outside your comfort zone?
– Is there a sense of adventure and creativity in the work you do?
– What are some creative things you can contribute?
– Do you approach situations and challenges with an open mind?