In a survey from BIGinsight.com, more than 6,000 consumers were asked to write in the name of the store that they believe provided the worst service – and the reason why.
The survey was fielded among adults 18+ and results are available by gender, age, generation and 12 different classifications of store type.
The top 10 responses, and percentage of each, for the total sample are:
- Rude, impolite, unfriendly = 22%
- Problems getting help = 20.2%
- Not knowledgeable = 11.4%
- Long checkout, long wait, slow = 10.1%
- Don’t care, disinterested = 8.9%
- Policy: returns, coupons, prices, fees = 8.3%
- Generic customer service complaint = 7.5%
- Understaffed = 4.6%
- Telephone support problems = 3.9%
- Unhelpful = 3.5%
While this survey focused on retail establishments, the findings are applicable to any business serving customers and reiterate the need to educate and empower customer-facing employees, as well as letting them know how important their interactions with customers are.
One bad attitude and ruin a relationship that you’ve work to build over time.
Do your customers have any of these problems with your firm?