Customer engagement is a process that involves four key elements:
1. Care about the relationship rather than the sale.
2. Be easy to interact and deal with (e.g., Zappos [http://wp.me/pYHt6-9M] and Nordstrom [http://wp.me/pYHt6-fO]).
3. Understand and be able to relate to your customer.
4. Listen to what the customer says and acknowledge you heard them via your actions.
Ensuring that you and your employees execute these key elements will result in a sustained relationship between your customers and your brand.
The relationship will entail an ongoing dialogue in which value is created in a sustained way.
Social media provides an opportunity for more frequent and enhanced engagement. The proliferation of mobile devices will just accelerate these opportunities.
- Customer engagement is not about marketing and sales, it’s about building a relationship.
- Take the time to listen to your customers and then act on what they say.
- Use technology to further enable customer engagement and enable customers to decide how they want to engage.
What are you and your firm doing to enhance customer engagement?